Data Merge from InDesign to unique filenames – now a reality
September 4, 2015 15 Comments
Ever since I published the article “Breaking up is hard to do… InDesign files into individual PDFs that is!” on Colecandoo, it has been one of the most searched for and popular stories on this site.
I have also written two articles for InDesignSecrets particularly relating to Data Merge and unique filenames: Data Merging Individual Records to Separate PDFs and Data Merging Individual Records to Separate PDFs Part 2: via Scripting. While these methods work, I felt that there had to be a better way to accomplish the task.
- Merges to uniquely named PDF or InDesign files;
- Uses information from csv or txt in the Data Merge to create the filenames;
- Creates web-safe filenames;
- Provides warnings about duplicate filenames, missing images or overset text;
- Can merge one record, a range, or all records in the database
Here are some more screenshots of the script:
If you are interested in trying the beta of this script, it can be downloaded from the Downloads page.